I didn’t appropriately account for how exhausted I would be with Christmas, visiting family, plumbing issues (not a euphemism – literal plumbing problems), and Glow Worm sleeping erratically these last few days. So, you all get another fluff piece (TWSS).
Best covers that are better than the original (sampling doesn’t count). Discuss in the comments. My favorites are below in no particular order (edited to reflect Hapa Papa reminding me what I really love):
1) Travis – Hit Me Baby One More Time (covering Britney Spears)
Who knew this song was so melancholy and deep?
2) Tori Amos – Smells Like Teen Spirit (covering Nirvana)
Well, pretty much anything Tori covers is better than the original, but I hate the Nirvana version so that means Tori’s version must be super awesome.
3) No Doubt – It’s My Life (covering Talk Talk)
The original is good but this one is so much better!
4) The Sundays – Wild Horses (covering The Rolling Stones)
LOVE LOVE LOVE.
5) Johnny Cash – Hurt (covering Nine Inch Nails)
So good people think NIN is covering Cash.
6) Mary J. Blige – One (covering U2)
Come on! It’s just too awesome! (But Hapa Papa doesn’t consider it a cover since Bono is also in it. Whatever.)